Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS)
NEW!! BLS CURRICULUM UPDATED FALL 2014!!
The University of Iowa’s Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) allows you to earn a University of Iowa bachelor’s degree from a distance. The BLS emphasizes workplace and leadership skills, and is designed for adults balancing professional growth and busy lives. If you have accumulated 24 or more credit hours from an accredited institution but haven’t earned your bachelor’s degree, an online Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree may be just be the right fit to help you meet your personal and career goals!
The BLS degree has been recently restructured with an improved curriculum available for new admits for Fall 2014! BLS students must complete a set of required Common Core courses and a Track. Current tracks include; Organizational Studies, Health and Human Studies, or Global Studies. Students may also choose to earn undergraduate certificates offered by the university. Courses are delivered through a variety of methods including online/web, guided independent study or on-location courses.
Many of our graduates have pursued graduate work and have experienced the valuable professional advancement that a UI bachelor’s degree provides. Are you ready to join the more than 1,000 BLS alumni?
Click here for info on the BLS program prior to Fall 2014.
- Admission Requirements
- Graduation Requirements
To be admitted to the BLS program, you must have:
- 24 sh of transferable college credit with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above. Maximum of 16 sh career/technical credits
- Must have earned a high school degree at least three years before admission to the BLS program,
- An Associate of Applied Science (AAS), Associate of Science (AS), or Associate of Arts (AA) with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or above
In order to graduate from The University of Iowa with your BLS, you must have a total of at least 120 semester hours from all sources with a maximum of 60 semester hours credit from two-year institutions.
Your 120 semester hours must include:
- Completion of BLS Core Requirements
- Completion of Track Requirements
- 30 semester hours of Upper-Level Coursework
- 30 semester hours of credit earned from The University of Iowa after admission to the BLS program
- A minimum 2.0 cumulative grade-point average (GPA):
- Overall (transfer and UI)
- University of Iowa
- B.L.S track
- OPTIONAL: Completion of Certificates;
Students who have received an Associate of Arts' degree from an Iowa two-year institution participating in articulation agreements with the University of Iowa are considered to have satisfied all requirements of the BLS Core/General Education Program, except Leadership and Career Development.
The BLS degree offers several interdisciplinary track options instead of a traditional major. Each tracks offers coursework from a variety of departments to provide an expansive foundation for skill building. Any track may be complemented with an optional certificate. Completed tracks and certificates will appear on your official UI transcript. Students are not eligible to enroll in another program or minor.