Environmental Education Internship
This paid position is for college level students or recent graduates with majors in biology, environmental science, education or related course of study. Meals and lodging on the Lakeside campus are included.
The position runs through the summer with an opportunity to live on the 140-acre Lakeside campus and nature preserve. Interactions with Lakeside students, faculty, researchers, and artists in residents are added bonuses to this position. Read more...
Science Communications and Public Relations Internship
Iowa Lakeside Laboratory and Regents Resource Center (Lakeside) seeks individual skilled in public relations and interest in communicating science to the public to promote Lakeside’s public and academic programs, and that of its non-profit support organization, the Friends of Lakeside Lab. The internship includes optional room and board on the Lakeside campus located on the shores of Lake West Okoboji in northwest Iowa. Read more...
- Promote Lakeside outreach and pubic awareness of Lakeside academic and research programs via weekly press releases, radio spots and social media
- Edit and contribute to newsletter and annual reports
- Create and maintain photo bank
- Assist with Friends of Lakeside Lab event planning and non-profit administration
- Major in public relations, communication, journalism, non-profit administration and/or English
- Interest in communicating science to the public and promotion of Lakeside’s education mission
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Willingness to take initiative and motivated to seek new learning opportunities
- Keen attention to detail when proofreading, copy editing and fact checking
- Experience in social media and graphic production such as fliers, brochures
- Experience with event organization
- Experience in promotional video production preferred but not required
Dates and Compensation
The 12 week, paid position runs May 16 through August 5 with start/end dates somewhat flexible. Lodging at Iowa Lakeside Laboratory is included, and meals when Lakeside courses are in session (May 16 to July 22, 2016).
Application and Deadline
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, please email the information below to Jane Shuttleworth (email@example.com): resume, a one page cover letter explaining how this position relates to your academic and career goals, and three samples of your work – such as press releases, articles, graphic and/or video productions. Applicants should also provide two references, including a professor from your field.